St John’s College Pre-Preparatory School – Upper Houghton, Johannesburg
St John’s College, with its stone buildings designed by two great men of South African architecture in Leonard Fleming and Sir Herbert Baker, was founded in 1898 and occupies a commanding position in Upper Houghton. The new Pre-Preparatory School building, which replaced one built in the 1960s, has been described as absolutely magnificent.
The new addition to the school was designed by TC Design Architects. Mostly single-storey, it is positioned between the excavated Houghton Ridge and the school playing fields. It houses six classrooms, an art/drama and therapy centre, music centre, library, computer centre, hall and administration block. All spaces have been designed with natural light and ventilation in mind so as to provide the most comfortable year-round learning environment.
Rehabilitation of the landscaping to the exposed ridge will take place in time. Planted roofs have been utilised to enhance biodiversity as well as to soften the line of the walkway and integrate the elevation into the backdrop of the ridge.
The 400m² facade is in a combination of Rheinzink pre-patina blue grey and panels of pre-patina graphite grey in the Angle Standing Seam Façade Cladding System. The façade was installed by Rohde Roofing CC.
For more on this project click here.
RHEINZINK South Africa